[meteorite-list] Carancas

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 19:04:08 -0500

Hi Piper and List,

That was my first thought as well. And the authors of the paper took
it into account and they specifically addressed it :

"The high altitude of the area might have played a role in the outcome
of this event, but not a crucial one. Even if the Carancas meteorite
had continued to sea level, it still would have produced a significant
crater."

An Figure is then provided (Fig. 11) that plots the speed of a falling
body as a function of the altitude over the ground. It plots two
bodies of different masses and drag coefficients. (p 1980)

They concluded that altitude did not play a significant factor.

So it leaves us to wonder, why did the Carancas body behave
differently from what one would expect from a stony chondrite? How
did it survive as a coherent mass until impact, given it's
pre-atmospheric mass, composition, entry speed, and angle of descent?

Those are questions that the paper left unanswered.

Best regards,

MikeG