[meteorite-list] PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF CHONDRITES - STUDYING METEORITE FALLS USING. DOPPLER WEATHER RADAR

From: Robert Woolard <meteoritefinder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:02:58 -0800 (PST)

Hello Shawn, List,

? Thanks so much for posting the link. Very interesting, and timely.

? And I do enjoy the pun. In fact, I used a variant of this one for the title of an article that we were fortunate enough to have published in the May 2009 issue of Meteorite magazine.? ( " Radar Report:? ThunderSTONES Near West, Texas " ).? Here is a partial excerpt from the article:

 " ? there was also another very important bit of data that to the authors? knowledge, was made available to the public for the first time ever.? Astounding weather radar images portrayed the swarm of stones in flight!? Just as these devices are able to peer inside clouds to detect the possible presence of hailstones, the radars had imaged the ?cloud of meteorites? falling through the air.? A sort of ?strewn-sky?, if you will."

? To me, the use of the radar info in helping to pinpoint the fall area added a whole other layer of interest to this very special fall. One year ago now. In a way, it all seems like yesterday.

? Thanks again, Shawn, for sharing the article. It seems certain that the use of radar in future falls? ( and perhaps old ones as well?? ) will continue to prove useful.

? Sincerely,
? Robert Woolard