[meteorite-list] Labeling specimens

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:11:53 -0500

Hi Jim and List,

I used a Dremel tool to carefully carve and identification number into
all of my specimens. I put the name of the specimen, date, origin,
type, what I paid for it, catalogue number, and 5 things I like about
it using only adjectives. All of this information is carved in
letters that are 1mm x 1mm. If the specimen is too small for these
engravings, then I buy new duplicate material which I then superglue
to the existing specimen. When the specimen becomes big enough to
hold the engravings, I also make an extra note that shows how many
additional pieces were superglued into place to provide room for the
labels. Finally, I dunk the specimen into clear acrylic and let it
harden into a fun shape (like a star or rhombus), which I then put
into my cabinet for posterity. ;)

Best regards,

MikeG