[meteorite-list] Hole in Red Rock Lounge Roof Still a Mystery?????

From: countdeiro at earthlink.net <countdeiro_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:02:32 -0500 (EST)

Hello Steve,

Thank you for the post on projectiles, propelling methods, velocities and their observable effects.

Based on my experience with things that go "boom" whilst in the US ARMY; where people I didn't know tried to incapacitate me with fast moving, heavy and often explosive objects and where I inspected holes in various materials including, but not limited to, kevlar, steel, glass, rubber, building materials and human beings, I feel I can contest some of your assumptions.

All objects, no matter what they are composed of, traveling above the speed of sound, will make an over pressure that can be detected by a person with normal hearing depending on distance, density and direction. The three "D's" we are taught in BSC (basic combat training). Remember the axiom, "You never hear the one that hits you"?

All military rifle, pistol and machine gun rounds, of any caliber, exceed the speed of sound and create an audible "snap". YouTube has dozens of fire fights where you can listen.

Some civilian rifle and pistol rounds, such as a .22 Long, or Short, and special application ammunition, are sub-sonic.

Many crew served, vehicle and aircraft delivered weapons such as artillery, anti-armor and area supression (SKEET and CANISTER) projectiles, are super-sonic in flight, or become so on contact with the target due to secondary charges.

I've looked at the photos and there is enough physical evidence (the damaged roof and attendant materials) for anyone with basic EOD skills to determine what was the outer composition of the object that made the defect, the weight, size and speed of the culprit, and from what direction did it arrive.

All the "no eyes on" witness statements are not reliable. They have a "scene" and that's where the investigation, if it hasn't already, should be conducted. The apparent fact that none of the impactor, except trace evidence on the damaged materials, has been found at the scene, makes the whole incident suspect.

Count Deiro
IMCA 3536