[meteorite-list] Question Regarding Lunars

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 10:51:23 -0800

I have a question regarding Lunar meteorites.? In many of the pics on various websites I have noticed a reddish/brown color in the meteorites.? I figured that most would be more grayish and white.? Is the reddish color from terrestrial means?? Does it oxidize after landing?? Or is this reddish color not related to oxidation at all and is the actual color it would be on the moon?? I would think that there would be no oxidation on the moon or in space, due to the lack of oxygen.

Shisr161 is an example.

http://www.meteoris.de/img/ncc-lun/Shisr161-2.884g.jpg

I can't get over how 'terrestrial' lunars look.? Who knows... maybe I've stepped on one without knowing it.

Greg S.

?