[meteorite-list] {MPML} 2010 AL30: Bright (14th mag) newly-discovered close approaching object

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:54:29 -0800

Hello Richard, All,
I would agree, except - it seems unlikely to me that such a large body
would fragment as described. Admittedly, there are exceptions to
every general rule, but generally speaking, an iron that large seems
unlikely to fragment. Take a look at Sikhote-Alin - a body a mere 4m
in diameter. Even that fragmented a very short time before reaching
the ground. I haven't been able to find similar data for Henbury,
Wolf Creek, or Camp del Cielo, but I'm guessing that such bodies might
just as likely not fragment, as opposed to what they say in ever
estimate for bodies in that size range on the site. After all,
Carancas was an exception, but it was one hell of an exception, being
*such* a small body -- and a stone, no less -- that didn't break up.
And we're not even talking about a 10m initial diameter here, but more
like 1-2m. Without that dissipation of mass and dispersion of
energy, you're looking at much stronger shock-waves and considerably
more damage.
Regards,
Jason