[meteorite-list] {MPML} 2010 AL30: Bright (14th mag) newly-discovered close approaching object

From: Richard Kowalski <kowalski_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 12:09:02 -0700

Alexander Seidel wrote:
> If it were a manmade object from the early years of space travel,
> may be a rocket stage or something like this from the Apollo era,
> and it would impact, and some debris of this would survive, I
> would LOVE to have this artifact in my collection... :-)
>
> Alex
> Berlin/Germany

Alex,

it isn't man-made.

Jason,

the H value of the object is 27.0 which translates to ~24-m if it has an albedo
of 5%. I chose 60 feet for the conversion because I'm guessing its a little
darker than 5%.

I've input some of the parameters into the Earth Impact Effects Program tool at:

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/impacteffects/

I did use an iron, but used average parameters, 17km velocity, 45 degree entry,
20 km distance. You can see the results of my inputs here.

http://tinyurl.com/yhkkyhq

I have to head out in a few minutes, but if someone wants to take the time to
input the correct inputs for this object, it'd be interesting to see the results.

--
Richard