[meteorite-list] Small Asteroid 2010 AL30 Will Fly Past TheEarth

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 16:31:20 -0600

Hi, Larry, Chris, List,

In many ways, this mess is about the "terms
of the trade." It is essential that those working
in a specific specialty understand what each
other mean when they discuss the subject.

The use of "the terms impactors and bolides
for the things that make holes in the ground,"
as Larry called it, makes discussion quick and
effective for those with a "planetary science"
perspective.

Chris' "meteoroid => meteor => meteorite," pretty
much the same as my first definition, is -- yes --
non-IAU-compliant, but from the viewpoint of the
study of meteoritic fall, it is clear and effective
terminology, well understood.

Those who study "meteor showers" use the term
meteoroid as a generic for all the objects contained
within a given "meteoroid stream," even if the object
weighs many tons and is really big enough to be
technically an "asteroid." If it's in a "meteoroid
stream," it must be a meteoroid, right?

In the real world the working vocabulary is, in
practice, determined by those that do common
work, for their own use. But it can't be a "private
language'" That's where the IAU (should) come in.
Opinions may vary on how well they do that job.

The Big Iron that made Meteor Crater is too big to
qualify for "meteoroid." It has to be called an asteroid.
Even the original body of Sikhote-Alin was too big
to be a meteoroid. So we have asteroids that make
meteorites. Even 2008 TC3 was meteoroid by size
but asteroid by designation. The entire classification
system of meteorites has as one major purpose
identifying the parent body in the "Asteroid Zone."
Tracking the origin of "meteoroids" that result in
meteorites has, so far, always traced them back to
Main Belt asteroids.

And while we often don't know the original mass of
most objects that result in found meteorites, most of
the smallish bodies we call meteoroids are too small to
result in meteorites...

It could therefore be more common to get meteorites
from asteroids, and meteoroids may not produce very
many meteorites.

Something about that terminology bothers me.

Sterling K. Webb