[meteorite-list] Strewnfield or Strewn Field?

From: Kelly Beatty <jkellybeatty_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 08:14:46 -0500

Jeff...

> If I were editing a publication, I would probably
> make the stylistic choice of adopting the single-word version, "strewnfield."

I'm with you. "strewnfield" can mean only one thing, and if I ever came across
"strewn field" in text I would wonder what (besides meteorites) was strewn on
that particular field - cow patties, perhaps?

FWIW, here's an example from my 35 years of watching the English language
evolve in popular writing and publications. years ago Sky & Telescope, which
maintains a long list of style conventions, referred to "a site on the World
Wide Web" as a "Web site." then it became "Website" and finally "website".
that's how many such terms evolve. and, yes, S&T uses "strewnfield".

clear skies,
Kelly

J. Kelly Beatty
Senior Contributing Editor