[meteorite-list] Pairing discussion/questions

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 08:09:51 -0800 (PST)

I have often wondered and after some discussion with others I wanted to get the community feeling on the issue of pairings.

If a meteorite say NWA 1877 for example is out there and more is recovered and verified to be the same material from the same strewnfield, should the new material share the NWA number and the TKW be updated?
I have noticed many pairings with NWA 1877 and many other meteorites.
Same material with different numbers and TKWs listed.

Would it not be in the best interest to have all the paired samples share on number? This would surely cut the amount of NWA material by 1000 or more.
Why is this not done?

What is the process for pairing material to share the NWA number?
Is it up to the dealer or the person who did testing?

What affect would it have on value if something with a listed TKW of 200g suddenly was paired with the 3 other numbers assigned to the same material and the TKW was pushed to 1kg or more?
Surely it would decrease as supply grew. Is this a concern for some?

I am trying to better understand the politics/red tape that goes with this area.

Thanks, hope everyone is doing well.

Greg C.