[meteorite-list] Pairing discussion/questions

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 18:46:15 +0100

Hi Greg,

This might be a typical question for Jeff Grossman.

I am also continuously puzzled by the abundance
of paired meteorites (thus those that are officially recognized as such).

Let's suppose that once one (or a few)
meteorite(s) are selected from an important lot
(as found) and sold to someone, this someone
(scientist, collector....) would envisage its classification.
And the same will possibly happen with the other meteorites from the same lot.
As a result, there will be as many different NWA
numbers, as independent classifications (of the - probably- same meteorite).
As most of these classifications probably won't
be concerted, there will not be pairings reported
and we will end up with as many different
meteorites, most probably of the same type, that
will never be suspected being paired.

If a pairing is suspected, I believe this results
from "concerted" analyses (of either meteorites
stemming from the same lot and analyzed by
different groups, or of the same meteorites
provided by different finders (buyers....)
brought for analysis to the same group).

This even complicates further if there are more
than one such "lot" found (meteorite shower
spread throughout a large strewnfield).

In case of such "concerted" analyzes, I guess
that the labs will still give a different NWA
number to each meteorite (or group of meteorites
from the same lot) analyzed, because one is never
sure that 2 meteorites supposed to come from the
same lot are at 100% the same.
If pairing is reported, then most of the time
(not always) it is mentioned in the Met. Bulls.
But because all analyzes were done independently,
each analyzed meteorite (or group of meteorites
from the same verified lot) will receive its own NWA number.

Here I realize that, at that stage, it is very
difficult to decide to only retain as official
the first NWA number attributed chronologically
and to cancel all the next NWA numbers.

I for one am just happy when pairings are
reported. This is often the case for "important"
types such as the planetaries.
But for the "common" H6's or L5's, I believe this is very seldom done.

So far, regarding my collection catalogue, here
is what I mention (for my NWA 4857 sample taken
as an example), just to have an idea of the total
mass of that meteorite evaluated so far.

NWA 4857 (Algeria, Shergottite enr maf), 0.928 g in collection; tkw:1 at 24 g:

....Paired with NWA 2975 (70.1 g), NWA 2986
(170 g), NWA 2987 (82 g), NWA 4766 (225 g), NWA
4783 (120 g), NWA 4864 (94 g), NWA 4878 (130 g),
NWA 4880 (81.6 g), NWA 4930 (117.5 g), NWA 5140
(7.5 g), NWA 5214 (50.7 g), NWA 5219 (60 g),
NWA5313 (5.3 g) and NWA 5366 (39.6 g).
Cumulated tkw: 1273.3 g (as per Jan. 2010)

I know that this neither sheds more light to the
problem, nor answers your concerns.
Hopefully someone can add more to the issue.

My best,

Zelimir