[meteorite-list] A case not only for Bob

From: Jeff Kuyken <info_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:43:16 +1100

Hi Martin and all,

Obviously the Australian Federal laws are bothersome to collectors and
restrict the amount of material found. No one would or could question that.
But unfortunately there is a slight flaw in your plan. Even if the
Australian Federal laws were abolished, there are still the separate state
laws which are the main problem... not the common Federal laws that everyone
is familiar with. 90% of Australia's prime meteorite finding locations are
covered by these state laws which rule that any meteorite found (whether on
Crown or private land) belongs to the state. So you would first need to
change all the State laws and then the Australian Federal laws before being
able to export.

Cheers,

Jeff