[meteorite-list] Meteorite Pairing Discussions

From: Zelimir Gabelica <Zelimir.Gabelica_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 11:58:27 +0100

Hi John,

NWA 4024 is indeed a nice example of the
discrepancy between Met. Bull. data and the
amount of stuff circulating on the market.

This is perfectly illustrated if you compare the
Met. Bull. write up regarding NWA 4024 an look at
the photos included at the end of the same report.
There are some 15 pieces illustrated, coming from
various sources. Although weights are not
mentioned, a rough evaluation of the volume of
the pieces (comparison with the scale cubes)
leads to evaluate that the total weight of the
illustrated pieces should largely overstep 100 g, probably more.
Not mentioning that the pieces pictured probably
represent only a small fraction of what is really
available as 'NWA 4024" in collections.

I have in collection a 4.43 g end section (got from Hanno Strufe).
But my own write up states that Mike Farmer
reported at the time (2006) that the tkw was at least 745 grams.
He explicitly explained this discrepancy by the
following argumentive comment: "first piece sold,
more pieces come out", which is, as we know, not really a surprise.

Nothing is mentioned officially about pairings
and I don't know whether this meteorite is also
being sold under another NWA N? but I guess the
pics in the Met. Bull. suggest that all the 15 pieces were called "NWA 4024".

The tkw of a meteorite is indeed rarely updated
officially (by the Nom Com and thus reported in
the Met. Bulls.) probably because nobody writes
them to update the old tkw. I agree that the Nom
Com should not be blamed for that.

As a typical example (among many others) the
official tkw reported in Met. Bull. for Chiang
Khan is still 367 grams, while everybody now agrees that it is of several kg.
When helping Mike Jensen to update the 2008
edition of "Meteorites from A to Z", I reported
him several such examples and, in some obvious
cases, the actual tkw was updated (with, as
reference: "numerous sources including internet,
personal communications and professional experience".
Needless to say that this updating is not
official because not (yet ?) agreed by the Nom. Com.
For the cited example of Chiang Khan, we agreed
to the put, as tkw, 75+ at 7.0+ kg, which is more
realistic regarding the present market, although
not official as I agree only the Met. Bull. (Nom.
Com.) should act as official reference.

There is some pertinent work needed here and I am
convinced many of us from the List and elsewhere
can help in trying to provide more correct figures to the Nom. Com.

Zelimir