[meteorite-list] Pairing discussion/questions

From: Adam Hupe <raremeteorites_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:00:51 -0800 (PST)

Thank you, Ted for pointing out that a meteorite doesn't care where it lands. I noticed that this bias concerning Antarctic versus NWA finds is disappearing with the current generation of scientists. Years ago at the LPSC in Houston, about one and ten papers concerning planetary meteorites mentioned NWA. The last time I went to this conference, over half the papers that dealt with planetary meteorites included NWA specimens. When talking to the up and coming planetary scientists, I observed that they were equally enthusiastic about specimens and have not developed any bias whatsoever.

I have seen both Antarctic and NWA specimens and I am equally impressed with both. I saw a freezer and a nitrogen filled case full of Antarctic specimens at the Antarctic Laboratory when I visited it a couple of years ago. I failed to see a difference other than the the Antarctic pieces were treated much better in the handling and preservation department. I observed heavy weathering on most of the pieces but they were preserved in the same manner as the few fresh pieces I saw. They just weathered differently then the NWA material with a lot of evaporates and salt clinging to them. NWA material, on the other hand, develops caliche deposits and really weathered examples tend to crack or fragment. In my opinion, both locations are equally capable of producing fresh and desirable specimens.

Best Regards,

Adam