[meteorite-list] Impact on Value Being Unclassified

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:06:09 -0800

This brings up a question: If a meteorite in unclassified, how does it affect the value? I would think considerably, as most collectors desire documentation for their pieces, as any collector does.? However, others may not care if they can get (a martian or lunar) for less money; but with higher risk.? I would think that most dealers would want to get everything classified, as they could get more money.? I can certainly understand that the nomads want to keep their locations secret, but the dealer should still get the finds classified, and find out if certain pieces were found together.? I think over time, the unclassified stones will lose value, while the classified stones will increase in value.? I think it's a shame that so many stones get unclassified, it's like have old paintings or works of are unsigned.

Just my Thoughts,

Greg S.