[meteorite-list] Lorton Update

From: Mike Hankey <mike.hankey_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 01:20:17 -0500

Gary,

Thanks for the compliments. It was exciting to spend a few days in a
new hot area especially one with such specific and accurate intel, but
regardless of the hammer stone, meteorite hunting is really hard work
and takes a lot of time. The current lack of video and other unknowns
combined with the reality of a possibly 8 mile long strewnfield
pointed in an unknown direction makes the odds of 'me' finding a
meteorite in VA about the same as finding one in PA. (at least in my
mind).

More importantly the reward for Lorton can not compare with that of
the PA meteor. Lorton has already been discovered, named and will soon
be classified. PA is still a mystery. It could be an ordinary, but you
never know it could be a pallasite or a lunar, martian or other. While
finding a meteorite regardless of the fall is something that I want to
do very badly (I'm still a meteorite hunting virgin), discovering a
meteorite is something entirely different. Its hard to find a
meteorite and a spectacular accomplishment but to discover a fall that
has never been found before... that's a big deal. In the history of PA
only 8 meteorites have ever been found. Finding this one would make
you the ninth person in 200+ years. You would be in the company of
1200 odd people in the history of man kind.

Most importantly I have a personal cosmic connection to the PA meteor
as a result of my experience with the fall. Its not about finding a
meteorite. Its a lot more complicated than that. I would trade a 1400
pounds of Brenham to find 10 grams of Paradise any day of the week.

Thanks,

Mike

And if I'm going to work that hard on meteorite hunting (something
that's not my full time profession) I don't want to waste the time and
effort on a fall that means nothing to me. I have a personal
connection to the PA meteor that is

To answer your question about PA vs VA.... its hard to explain. I have