[meteorite-list] Dumb Questions About Meteors & Meteorites

From: Chris Peterson <clp_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:32:50 -0700

You're just seeing incandescence from the last bit of meteoroid that hasn't
survived the previous (four?) fragmentation events as well as the continuous
ablation. I don't see any evidence in this photo of a smoke train at all. If
one was produced, it would only be visible after the meteor faded away, and
if the exposure continued on for at least a few seconds so the trail could
start to disperse.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory