[meteorite-list] Dumb Questions About Meteors & Meteorites

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:16:13 -0800

Thanks Chris, Gary, George, It appeared to be a smoke train at first
glance...

If the meteoroid was still glowing hot and producing light enough to be
recorded by the camera, that would explain the trail and the squiggly
nature produced by the irregular flight. I do have a question for Gary
though. You mentioned it's "too early" for a smoke train to develop. How
do you mean? If the particle is still there, it will rapidly cool to a
point where it cannot produce smoke. When will such a meteoroid/particle
produce a smoke train? Are we looking at both, the smoke "and" the after
glow of the meteoroid? I would assume that if the meteoroid is still hot
enough to glow, it would also be producing smoke, the camera could be
capturing both the glow from the "hot space rock" and the smoke it emits.

After looking at the photo closer I see the same waviness to the entire
path as well.
http://www.meteoritesusa.com/images/Leonid_Meteor-wikipedia-cc-4.jpg

How many meteoroids actually reach the ground? I still don't see a solid
answer on this.

Eric