[meteorite-list] Meteorite Photography (Must read!)

From: Dark Matter <freequarks_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:10:55 -0700

Hmm, where to start....

How about a couple general points:

First, a smaller aperture is a bigger number as it represents a ratio
of lens diameter to aperture opening. I believe that is expressed
backward in the previous post. Further a doubling or halving of the
shutter speed or ISO is the same as a one stop increase or decrease in
aperture.

Sports photogs use fast lens because in the Shutter speed/aperture/ISO
equation, more light = higher usable shutter speed at the same ISO.

Tele lenses compress the image FOV and have a narrower DOF than normal
or wide lenses.

The DOF works both ways-in front of prime focus and behind it.

A stopped down tele lens still has a short DOF and the background
would only be in focus if the DOF contained infinity.

 A lens wide open i.e. 2.8 can not be sharper than the lens stopped
down. Isolated elements in the photo are not the same as sharpness.

Macro lenses are designed to be flat field so when moving to the macro
world, the playing field changes, especially when using extension
tubes, bellows, or the like.

The optical physics are straight forward, but often mixed with human
interpretation of an image. But in the end, physics is physics.

-Martin