[meteorite-list] Meteorite Photography (Must read!)

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:14:54 -0800

Erik is right, The higher f-stop of 22 will increase depth of field, not
sharpness of focus. Though it's related, it's not quite the same. Your
focus is not controlled entirely by f-stop, only the DOF and amount of
light allow into the camera.

This is why sports photographers use a low/large f-stop lens like f2.8
lenses. The reason is simple, the smaller aperture only allow focus on a
small area of the subject, blurs out the background and has a very
shallow DOF which focuses (at distance) in the perfect zone, making the
player seem in sharp focus. Simply stopping down to f22 you would be
able to see everything behind the player, distracting the subject, and
it would not be as sharp.

The distance to the subject also plays a large part in DOF focus. DOF
can be measured in percentages to give a better idea of the range of
focus. If point A were 2 inches in front of your subject, and point D
was the background, then points B to C would be the area in which your
the photo would be in focus and directly related to your f-stop number.
Shallower is sharper, sharper is smaller, i.e. f.2.8 is will be sharper
than f22.

When photographing meteorites, or anything, it's the same thing.

Regards,
Eric