[meteorite-list] Lorton, Smithsonian and "cool" scientists thinking

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:44:30 -0500

Hi Steve and List,

Great post and unfortunately very true.

Something I have noticed in the last couple of years - more and more
scientists have ponytails, dreadlocks, and tattoos. When I watch
science documentaries on TV now, you often see a young scientist with
a goatee and dreadlocks. It's funny and encouraging at the same time.
 Times are a changin and people are becoming more open minded and
tolerant.

When I grew up in the early 70's, all scientists on TV had buzz-cuts
and looked like cops. So, perhaps this archaic anti-collecting
attitude we go the same way as the dinosaurs. Just give it time.

Seriously, next time you watch a science documentary (especially the
ones about astronomy), take a look at the scientists they interview -
you see a few "old school" types, but you also see the next young crop
of up and coming scientists, and if looks are any gauge, then I feel
hopeful that these exclusionary attitudes and snobbish views will
disappear along with the buzz cuts and pocket protectors. ;)

Best regards and happy hunting,

MikeG

PS - isn't the Smith publicly subsidized by tax payer money? If so,
what right do they have to deny access to the specimens?