[meteorite-list] Lorton, Smithsonian and "cool" scientists thinking

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:54:34 -0800 (PST)

Steve wrote:

?I am not sure of all of the reasons, and who made the actual
decision to deny us and our audience the opportunity to see
it first hand, but it seems that because the Smithsonian
now has their own new cable TV network, and as such it is
now their policy to not give any competing TV networks any
access to shooting any of their stuff in their collections.?

I may be wrong, but is the Smithsonian not supposed to be "owned" by the tax payers and US citizens?
If this is the case, would we not legally be able to photograph and document items there as long as damage was not done?

Perhaps some of the issue here is possible profit you/others could make off what you/they are doing and the fact the Smithsonian would not get a "piece of the pie"?

I have never had dealings directly with them, but I have to say that I would rather a meteorite be there on display for all then for it to be cut into pieces and spread into a private collectors market with only a 20g/20% deposit available for the "public" to see.

I do think some should be made public and Im sure some will eventually make its way into the market, most likely for the a good amount more then the $100 per gram price collectors would have likely been asked to pay (based on the trend recent falls have seen)
It all depends on who offers them something they want that is not NWA material I guess.

For all anyone knows, there may have been more found, just not made public yet...

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites