[meteorite-list] Trends with WI Fall and alike for July

From: Greg Stanley <stanleygregr_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:52:25 -0700

I think it boils down to supply/demand.? In recent years (perhaps the last 5 or so) there have been many new collectors - myself included, so the demand has increased.? Then there is the supply side.? Well with these recent falls, dealers and hunters have been selling the falls (Ash creek and WI) relatively soon while people were collecting - I think WI sooner than Ash Creek.? It is during the time the supply is very low - and this sets the initial price.? So early on, there is a lot of demand and Little supply, so the price starts at ~$100 simply because people will pay it.? At this time the TKW is not know or sometimes even the classification - so people are willing to pay a lot in the beginning.? Then as more is collected the supply increases a bit and the price then falls - for WI to about $70.? It stabilized there for a while.? What confused me about yesterday was the demand of WI was not there anymore.? Perhaps this is trend like people say.? Maybe at some point the interest decreases and collectors ar
e buying others unique finds (like NWA 5400).? So the price dropped sinificantly.? I suspect it will increase, but not that much; I would be surprized to see it sell for over $50/grm.? I think also with the increased publicity (Meteroite men, and news of falls) have made the market for "falls" increase significently.? They are very collectable now; and to the newbee they are probable more attractive then perhaps a brachinite or Angrite because they may not have the knowledge of rare meteorites.? So for the next fall - just wait it out, but there is a risk.

This brings up another idea for a thread:

What class or type of meteorite to you collect the most and are most interested it?

I myself like rare ungrouped achondrites and my favorite is the Angrites.

Greg S.