[meteorite-list] Trends with WI Fall and alike for July

From: Mike Bandli <fuzzfoot_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 08:59:48 -0700

Hello MikeG,

Maybe you don't mean it, but your post implies that those that don't wait
for some kind of price drop are inexperienced, impatient, or na?ve. This
couldn't be further from the truth. Many of those that purchase immediately
are just the opposite - experienced, long-time collectors. It has nothing to
do with "being the first on the block to own it." In the case of Wisconsin,
many wanted complete stones, which were few and far between. Many wanted
pre-rain material. Whatever the reason, they are all good reasons, and
everyone is happy.

MikeG wrote: "Despite the marketing hype, there is little special about any
of them beyond the significance the buyer attaches to them."

I won't attach any significance to them, but will state the facts:

Whetstone Mountains - the first recovered Arizona fall in nearly 100 years.
Probably the most documented recovery in history. Very little available to
collectors. Fireball captured on video.

Daule - the first and only Ecuadorian meteorite to ever be recovered.
Obviously an historic event for Ecuador. Beautiful shock breccia. Under one
kilo available to collectors.

Wisconsin - the most covered fall in history. Witnessed by tens of thousands
of people. Stunning breccia. Low recovered weight and horrible search/find
ratio (much more expensive to find). The pre-rain, low-oxidized material
will always hold a premium, because the contrast of the breccia is lost with
oxidation. I believe this one will also be orbit calculated.

For those of us who don't view things through the prisms of type or price,
all meteorite falls and recoveries are special and significant events.

Best regards,

Mike Bandli

Mike Bandli
Historic Meteorites