[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil iron is official now - 1.6 metric tons!?!?

From: Jason Utas <meteoritekid_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 06:22:31 -0700

Hello Mirko, All,
That's just not true at all - plenty of irons have seen plastic
deformation without becoming ataxites.

Seymchan:

http://www.carionmineraux.com/mineraux/Mineraux_Juillet_aout_2008/meteorite_seymchan_1.jpg

http://www.imca.cc/insights/2007/II06-img/Seymchan.jpg

Henbury:

http://www.minresco.com/meteor/meimages/me606d.jpg

Uruacu:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOW-PRICE-URUACU-IRON-METEORITE-BRAZIL-END-CUT-804-GMS-/200446229790?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eab86bd1e#ht_1622wt_906

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOW-PRICE-URUACU-IRON-METEORITE-BRAZIL-END-CUT-514-GMS-/200421205241?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaa08e4f9#ht_1579wt_906

- I've also seen examples of similar features in Sikhote-Alin,
Boxhole, Gibeon, and Campo del Cielo.

Plastic deformation due to impact does not result in the complete loss
of widmanstatten pattern. The only plastically deformed ataxites that
lack any true pattern (that I can think of) are Chinga (deformed
schlieren) and this new Egyptian iron, neither of which appear to have
had widmanstatten patterns before entering the atmosphere.

Regards,
Jason