[meteorite-list] Gebel Kamil iron is official now - 1.6 metrictons!?!?

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:09:34 +0200

Hi Jason,

well and the Sikhote-shrapnels?
Or remember these Canyon Diablos, found on one side of the crater rim, where
the pattern was completely annihilated by heat and which are completely
recrystallized.

If one would had only such examples of Canyon and Sikhote, undoubtedly they
would be given the structural type: ataxite.

(Btw. the Bavarian iron find Inningen, which still hasn't been removed from
the Bulletin, which has identical values like Sikhote, got as structural
type also ataxite, cause it was a shrapnel. ...a Sikhote-like shrapnel,
havig the same trace element data like Sikhote and found without any other
pieces nor any impact structures or pits lying on a road - ouch! That
hurts...).

All I'm telling is, that it might be too early to commit to that structural
type with the Egypt iron, as maybe there will be still found (or examined)
more intact pieces.

Like so many in this thread I know Gebel Kamil only from the loads our
Russian finder kings brought to light and to Ensisheim.

They were all extremely stressed, sharp-edged, tattered and torn frazzles of
iron - just like the shrapnels we all know from Sikhote-Alin.

How distorted and stressed they are, you can observe on the extremely
disturbed and deformed schreibersites in Mirko's slices, if you compare
these to the large, angular skeletonised schreibersite crystals in
Sikhote-individuals or in Guanaco e.g.

You could add also Morasko to your list.

Well, for me - maybe I'm there conservative - a shrapnel is a totally
destroyed and tattered lump of an iron meteorite, which fully has lost its
original structure due to the forces of a major explosion.
I guess, that's why also the military term "shrapnel" was used as an
analogue for this type of iron meteorites.

Those which you mean, which show a partial deformation, I wouldn't call in
my personal use "shrapnels", at best maybe partial shrapnels.
But that depends on one's individual interpretation, I omit,
because "shrapnel" is a not exactly defined term, similar as we have it with
"orientation" or more recently with the "hammer stones".

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----