[meteorite-list] A Twisted Meteor Trail Over Tenerife: camera

From: Fred Bieler <fcb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:48:39 -0500

I believe the smaller second meteor trail at the right is the same as the
large one at the left (which is just a blowup of the small one so it is
easier to see the wiggles). Check the star patterns. They are the same
around the two trails. And I still think the "trailing" of the stars is due
to coma in the camera lens, since the trailing in the corners of the field
do not all fall on the same axis.

The stars in the image look comatic, probably due to lens aberrations in the
presumably wide open aperture. Look at the star images in all corners of the
image. Their side to side blur is clearly a comatic fan tangential to the
radius in the corners. Look particularly at the bright stars to the lower
right side of the tower in the upper right side of the image. Blow the image
up as much as possible and you can clearly see the curved fan of coma aiming
at the center of the field. Stars at the lower left corner have the comatic
fan curved in the opposite direction, but again pointing at the center of
the field. The side to side comatic blurs clearly do not all parallel the
side to side wiggle in the meteor trail, making tripod shake much less
probable.

Fred Bieler
Astronomics/Christophers, Ltd./Cloudy Nights
www.astronomics.com
800.422.7876