[meteorite-list] Biggest Meteorites by Type

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:40:01 +0200

Hi Melanie,

the Tkw of the ordinary chondrites is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar lower
than those of the irons.

>From the approx 700 tons in total the Bulletins lists,
alone 90% are allotted on the only 20 largest iron meteorites.

Unlike in Sahara/NWA the Oman finds are quite good documented,
there we have in all the 10 years together approx. 6 tons.
Remember they are stones. Hence probably, (if you would be allowed to do
so), you could pack them all on a small pick-up truck.

Also the weight of the roughly 7000 Antarctic finds (pairing rate among
field numbers is 5) is not that impressive, as there even the smallest bogey
of 1g and less can be better spotted than in a rocky desert and is
collected.

NWA is somewhat difficult to estimate. Because there is no scientific
interest, as well as no demand of the private collectors in the usually
weathered ordinary chondrites, so that they aren't classified and listed in
the Bulletins.
There you could play a little bit around, with the ratios of the rare types
to ordinary types at the observed falls, at Antarctica, at Oman.
And then you can watch the weights of the rare types among the NWAs to
conclude, how many ordinary chondrites might have been found among the NWAs.

With that method, I would estimate..
Nja well, what is the payload of a larger truck 20-30 tons,
Maybe 2-3 trucks for whole Sahara during the last 20 years.

The biiig dark figure you won't find with the stones or with the NWAs,
but with the big mass irons.
Because the tkws in the Bulletins stem from old publications.
Example. Sikhote is given there with 23 tons,
but it's estimated, that meanwhile up to 100 tons were harvested.
Soo each weathered common UNWA-sample is rarer than any Sikhote-specimen!
Same with Campo, Gibeon and so on.

That's also the reason, why all here on the list have always to smile, when
they read in the media, that the meteorite affair would be a multi-million
or even a billion-$$-biz.
And that's why most think, that it is a little bit hysterical to decree laws
preventing meteorite hunting,
cause look, in France and Italy each autumn ten times more of the rarest
truffles types are found, that stuff, where you have to pay 6000-12000$/kg,
than meteorites in the Sahara.
So be aware, that the UNWA in your box of chocolate, that kg-stone you paid
30$ for, is in deed so rare, than the same amount, 1 kilogram, of diamonds
of the best quality!

Sounds strange,

but is so.

Melanie, you can excellently play around with that tool.
The Bulletin Database, there you can sort also any search by weight!
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/meteor/metbull.php

Best!
Martin

PS. Mike at least the smaller of the Kalaharis you can see here:
http://meteorites.wustl.edu/lunar/stones/kalahari008.htm

If you check the number of publications give there, I'd say, Kalahari is
well documented.

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----