[meteorite-list] NWA 5400: Earth-Related Meteorite

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 01:16:11 -0500

Hi, List,

The theoretically possible origins of NWA are specific:
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2009/pdf/2332.pdf
   "Alternative possibilities are that the new specimen
is (a) a terrene meteorite, (b) a Theian meteorite, or
(c) a meteorite related to another former differentiated
body accreted near Earth... The very different Fe/Mn
ratios in olivine and pyroxenes set NWA 5400 apart
from any known lunar rock, as well as any modern
terrestrial rock from Earth's crust or shallow mantle
(especially given the presence of accessory FeNi metal).
In texture, mineralogy and mineral compositions, NWA
5400 resembles some brachinites, but those ancient
achondrites have very different oxygen isotope compositions...
The giant collision of Theia with proto-Earth (or collisions
involving other Earth-like bodies) may have resulted in
the ejection of some asteroid-sized fragments of one or
both colliding bodies into orbits that precluded their
reaccretion to Earth or Moon. Some such spalled
fragments could have been (1) accreted to or captured
as satellites by other extant planets, (2) captured by
the Sun, or (3) trapped within the main asteroid belt.
In the last case, such bodies could be targets for very
recent impacts and collisions, and delivery of material
as meteorites to Earth."

    Specific in that it could only be a "terrene" meteorite
if it came from the Earth BEFORE it collided with Theia
(the Mars-sized future Moon). It's not a chip of Earth
from the last 4.4 billion years.

    Or it could be a "Theian" meteorite from BEFORE Theia
collided with the Pre-Moon Earth. That would make it
OLDER than the collision.

    Or it could be from a third (or fourth or fifth...) body
that accreted in the Earth-Theia orbit BEFORE the
Pre-Moon Earth - Theia collision and was ejected from
the Earth orbit by the new more-massive Earth.

    Or it could be from an asteroidal fragment OF that
collision which was batted out into the Belt (I call this
the "long fly ball" theory) from which this is a chip
that got here the way most meteorites do.

    Or it could be from a large asteroid fragment of that
collision that was captured by Venus as a retrograde
moon which spiraled in and broke up but this piece
is from a fragment that escaped re-entry to Venus and
was cast onto an asteroidal orbit that supplies a meteorite
rarely.

    It has NOT wandered around until now when it landed
on the modern Earth.

    Or...

    Please, I'm getting dizzy.

    Can it be made simple? OK, every other non-lunar,
non-planetary meteorite we know of has been shown to
be or is presumed to come from a smallish body whose orbit
takes it through or places it in the Asteroid Belt. The odds
are pretty good that this one did too. It got here the way
almost all meteorites do.

    Dump the thought that this one stone wandered around
for 4.4 billion years and then hit the Earth. The odds against
that simple story are colossally high. "Astronomical" is too
small to describe the odds against that notion.

    On the other hand, we have 100,000 meteorites AND
this one. There must be something unusual about its
life story, worthy of an interview by Oprah or Ted Koppel.

    It could have come from a very small asteroid
that does not often send a rock to Earth, or an asteroid
that is placed in an unusual orbit with characteristics
that make Earth-delivery difficult and hence rare.

    Another thing to bear in mind. Our sample of
100,000 meteorites is NOT a sample of 4.5 billion
years of time. It is a sample of the meteorites that
have made it to Earth in the last 100,000 years
or less (except for a small handful of Antarctic ones
that might be 370,000 years on Earth or more).

    Yes, we have "fossil meteorites" and traces that are
too terrestrialized to tell us much except that meteorites
(and asteroids) have always fallen to Earth and always will.
But our present collection is a thin slice of time, of the
present parent-body supply, a supply which almost
certainly changes over long periods of time.

    Thousands of NWA 5400-type meteorites could have
fallen to Earth over millions (and billions) of years and
we would never know it unless one fell in the last fifty
or a hundred thousand years.

    ONE did.

    The problem is identified nicely by the authors of the
second LPI paper Greg mentioned -- they called it the
"storage" problem. Where have you been hiding, little
felllah, for all this time?

    My money's on the Asteroid Belt.

Sterling K. Webb