[meteorite-list] Hammer Question

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 11:54:57 -0400

Hi List,

The way I understand the definition of "hammer" is this :

The meteorite strikes something man-made.

The debate comes in when we try to define what is man-made.

What about a landscaped field? That field would be an overgrown
natural lot, but if someone comes in, mows the grass, plants flowers,
and maintains the area - is this now considered "man made" ?

A cattle pond is another example. It wasn't there before man dug the
hole, so is that man-made?

What if the meteorite strikes the ground first, but then bounces and
hits something man-made. Let's say my grandson leaves a toy in the
yard. The meteorite strikes the Earth, bounces, and then strikes the
toy - is that a hammer?

I guess it all depends on how broad one's definition is. :)

Best regards,

MikeG