[meteorite-list] New Iron (Ataxite) SHRAPNEL

From: Gary Fujihara <fujmon_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 05:13:52 -1000

Aloha Steve and list members,

Doubts regarding this new iron are understandable, particularly when only shrapnel fragments have been recovered near the crater. However, in a crater forming meteorite, individuals are usually not found near the crater vicinity but strewn further away since they are a product of early fragmentation. So individuals could be a part of this meteorite, but not discovered yet.

Secondly, have you seen the size of some of the fragments from this crater? They are huge! I am no munitions expert, but I would think that the largest WWII bombs would produce shrapnel the mass and thickness of the largest pieces.

Finally, please take a look at Mirko's beautifully prepared slices and endcuts. In them you will notice distinct inclusions that appear to be Shreibersite. Now, I have never known a man-made metal to have inclusions of Shreibersite in them.

Jilf al Kabir shrapnels available
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2067964&id=1394318075&l=57cb6b6699

Big Kahuna Meteorites (IMCA#1693)
105 Puhili Place, Hilo, Hawai'i 96720