[meteorite-list] Your First Meteorite - When did you Get It

From: Jay & Annette <AJSnyder_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:15:21 -0700

Greg,

I found my first meteorite at an NuggetShooter Gold Basin outing in 2005. I was actually participating in a coin shoot of sorts, (searching for marked pennies, to be later claimed as 'tokens' for prizes) and using my Minelab GP3000, with it's monster 16" coil. After amassing a whooping 16 tokens, and ready to call it a day, I walked across the trail leading to and from the campsite, and I got a faint signal that sounded different than all the rest that day. Upon digging down approximately eight inches, I found what appeared to be a strange rock. Unfortunately, because of my 'crude' digging and the size of my pick, I actually broke a small piece off of the meteorite. I was told that I could find meteorites in the area, but really didn't think I would find one. Upon further review, it was confirmed (by John B. and one-legged Dave) that it was indeed a Gold Basin meteorite. I was the first person to touch this meteorite from the nether regions, crudely wiped it off, and proudly displayed it like it worth
 a million bucks. The meteorite weighed 65 grams and I still have it today.

At that point in my metal detecting journey, I was hooked. For the next several years I ate, slept, and dreamed about meteorites. I've hunted Gold Basin (on claimed land of course), and found several more to join my collection. As an elementary school teacher, I love sharing these seemingly familiar rocks with my students, and try to convey the enthusiasm I have for meteorites to them. Unfortunately, most of them don't share my passion, but nonetheless I love the thrill of the hunt.

Jason