[meteorite-list] Responsibility Over Ratings

From: Notkin <geoking_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:05:26 -0700

Adam Hupe wrote:

> I do not like the idea of some self-appointed spokesperson
> representing my favorite pursuit in the media but will have to live
> with it.

Dear Adam:

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or not, but it sounds like it.
I have been working in entertainment since I was fifteen. I enjoy
making educational television and intend to continue to do so. I am
not the "self-appointed spokesperson" of anything and do not pretend
to be, or want to be. I like to do my own thing and I try to show
meteorites and the meteorite world in a good light, as best I can.

> Yes, money is a part of the game but if we put too much emphasis on
> it, our hobby will surely be in jeopardy. Two states have already
> proclaimed their land off limits with two more in hot pursuit. I
> was going to hunt meteorites this July in Washington State but won't
> bother since state State and Federal Land are now off-limits, same
> for Oregon. California and Arizona are next, probably shut down
> within the next 12 months. Arizona has already specified that
> meteorites cannot be removed from state parks. It will not be long
> before the Federal lands are included.

Agreed. I'd also like to point out that the apparent Oregon ban on
meteorite hunting on BLM lands was posted on their website before our
BLM-related shows aired, so these decisions have nothing to do with
"Meteorite Men." I think it's more likely that somebody noticed the
unending stream of meteorites offered for sale on ebay that originated
on BLM land, and decided to take action. All the meteorites we
collected from Federal land in Gold Basin were given, on permanent
loan, to the Monnig Collection, by courtesy of the Park Service, and
that was clearly documented on the show. None of the stone fragments
we collected on BLM land in Nevada have been offered for sale ? rather
they have been given as gifts and donations to deserving people. In
other words "Meteorite Men" has respected existing laws and encouraged
others to do the same. I view this as setting a positive example and
demonstrating that meteorite hunters can be responsible.

It's my understanding that removing minerals, fossils, etc. from most
state parks has always been against the law. Please correct me if I am
wrong in that, as I know you have a lot of experience with land
regulations.

As a worldly person, I'm sure you are well aware that ten years ago,
or so, a group of elitist paleontologists managed to force through a
ban on the collecting of invertebrate fossils on Federal land, with
severe penalties levied on those who broke the law. Similar things
have been tried a number of times with invertebrate fossils. AAPS --
the excellent paleo group -- has so far lobbied successfully to
prevent this absurd law from being passed. Perhaps a similar PR effort
on behalf of meteorite collecting would be a good challenge for the
IMCA. I have long felt it was just a matter of time until meteorite
hunting was banned on Federal land so, sadly, these recent political
movements are of no surprise to me.

> I think it is our responsibility to be careful and thoughtful about
> what is being stated to the media, especially since they get it
> wrong half the time and are quicker to jump on bad news. I am not
> trying to be negative, only trying to preserve an interesting and
> fun avocation.

And I agree with you 100% on this too. We should all try to be
thoughtful, accurate and respectful when speaking in public. Bob Haag
is a fine example of how to interact well with the media, and he has
certainly inspired me. Anyone who has been interviewed about
meteorites -- and that includes many of you on the List -- is familiar
with how frequently journalists misquote, or take things out of
context. So, again, we try to be accurate and do the best we can.

Thank you for your comments on this issue.

Respectfully,

Geoff N.

www.aerolite.org
www.meteoritemen.com