[meteorite-list] Responsibility Over Ratings

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 14:15:00 -0700

Hi Geoff, Steve, Adam, List,

Behind the scenes people have been talking... It's now becoming more and
more public that there is an issue with with regard to recovering
meteorites on federal land. It's important to realize that there is no
law right now that prevents the recovery of meteorites on federal land,
only a misinterpretation of a current Act posted on a BLM website. I
think it would be a great travesty if there were such a restrictive law
put in place.

Such legislation would stifle and slow the advancement of knowledge and
meteorite science to a crawl.

Geoff's idea for a PR campaign is a great idea and I think it should be
done in an organized and all inclusive way within the community. Geoff
(I believe) knows of, and I've spoken with Steve on this as well and
he's given his input as well which is greatly appreciated.

I've been working with meteorite hunters and collectors in the meteorite
world on creating an association that will promote responsible and
ethical meteorite hunting practices, and to establish an organization
which promotes meteorite hunting and collecting within the private
sector at an educational and scientific level. I've proposed this
organization idea privately to many people within this community for
over a year now and this is my first public announcement on the
Met-List. There is much interest and support from this community and
from prominent hunters and collectors for such an organization as
evidenced by the many many emails, and popularity of the post on my site
about this organization which has received thousands of reads and lots
of comments.

I've also spoken with numerous board members of the IMCA requesting a
cooperative team effort in conjunction with our organization regarding
this very matter. I am confident the IMCA and the organization we are
founding can work together in this role. I'm offering my help and that
of our organization to build a cooperative team to preserve our rights
to hunt and recover meteorites as private sector hunters, collectors,
researchers and scientists.

This organization is called the Meteorite Hunting Association
http://www.meteoritesusa.com/meteorite-articles/meteorite-hunting-association/

I'm all for cooperation and working together towards a common goal.
Let's do it! Together as a community. The more people who are involved
the better the chance of doing something good for this community, and
the world at large. Meteorites can unlock some of the biggest mysteries
in the history of humanity, meteorites are truly windows into the
knowledge of the universe.

Regards,
Eric Wichman
Meteorites USA