[meteorite-list] Responsibility Over Ratings

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:29:49 -0400

Hi Steve and List,

LOL. First, I mistakenly called Sonny's meteorite a CM2, which it is
not. It is a CM1. Sonny and others kindly pointed this out to me.

Second, I did exaggerate just a bit. LOL

I recall recently when a fellow mailed a "meteorite" to Adam
(unsolicited) and claimed it was a CM1, just like the one on TV. Of
course, the object was not a meteorite, and it looked like a toliet
plunger. The same guy must have emailed me prior, because I also had
a cyber run-in with a pushy gent who wanted me to broker a deal for
his toliet plunger. Since then, no less than 3 more people have
contacted me about their suspected CM1 meteorite. This handful of CM1
hopefuls was buried in a mountain of other emails from people trying
to sell/identify their slags, hematite, basalt, conglomerates, and
Loc-Nar. For my first 2 years in meteorites, I took the time to
personally answer all of these emails - often at length.

Now, since Meteorite Men, I get 2 or 3 of these a day (on average),
and I just don't have the time or inclination to answer them all. Now
I selectively pick which ones to answer based on how nice the person
seems and what their story is. Most I just delete because if I took
the time to thoughtfully answer them all, it would become a part-time
job. Which reminds me, Galactic Stone and Ironworks is now hiring a
public relations person and concierge - to answer all such emails and
entertain offers of toliet plungers. I can't offer much in the way of
a salary, but I will split any proceeds from CM1 meteorites that I
purchase from strangers. ;)

Meteorite Men has undoubtedly pushed some new customers my way.
Whether or not this increased attention turns into a double-edged
sword, remains to be seen. (increased demand equals increased
wholesale costs and less supply - thus we get more sales, but it makes
our costs go up) Now, I hope that the attention doesn't push the
government over the edge into prohibiting meteorite collecting on
public lands - if so, I would be righteously pissed to lose my chance
to hunt before I ever go out and do it for the first time.

Well, either way, it's great to see a show on TV about meteorites and
I think whatever headache it generates is well worth it - unless the
govt. steps in and tightly regulates meteorites. If that happens, I
am going back to restoring and flipping antique telescopes. LOL

Best regards and happy huntings,

MikeG