[meteorite-list] Your First Meteorite - When did you Get It

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 19:41:49 -0500

My first meteorite purchase was, like so many other's,
made because I was amazed that you could BUY them.
The first was a small ZAG in 2000, bought from eBay
and Dean Bessey, he of the never-ending listings.

I like pieces of places that are known or are knowable.
Within a week I bought a little chunk of Vesta (or a
Vestoid). In another week, I had bought a bigger chunk
of Mars. The same week I bought that small patch of
Mars real estate, I bought my first tektite, and in
another month a piece of the Moon at a per-gram
price that was (and is) truly obscene.

Buying meteorites is a virus characterized by rapid
onset, you know. A degree of immunity may develop
in time (or you may run out of money), but you will
never be totally free of the disorder. In some individuals,
the disease may be accompanied by the co-infecting
agent that causes Tektititis, as it was in my case.

Sterling K. Webb