[meteorite-list] Great Buttons!

From: Aubrey Whymark <tinbider_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 06:12:49 +0000 (GMT)

Brian and List

Congrats on the tektite hunting.

I'd say it's worth strip-mining South America to find out if there are any Chesapeake origin tektite buttons! Western Mexico is really on the limits for flange formation and probably would be too close. Peru is potentially a very good country to start looking for distal tektites, focusing on the late Eocene marine sediments (or younger on the off-chance of reworking). Small obsidian-like tektites might have been overlooked in a volcanic-rich country. Brazil might also be a possibility. It will, however, take some special circumstances to preserve small tektites and more so to retain the flange, marine deposited sediments are probably the best bet.

Aubrey