[meteorite-list] Meteorites and Humidity: Some Questions . . .

From: Linton Rohr <lintonius_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 22:59:11 -0800

Hello Gracie and List.
I live in southern California and I had, up until recently, been thinking I
should be fairly immune to humidity and rust problems. Wrong! I've got a few
irons starting to show a little rust and some pallasites (Brenham mainly)
with more severe problems.
I think desicant would go a long way in helping you. Just make sure you get
a color coded, rechargeable type, so you can see when it's moist and dry it
in the oven.
I would definitely recommend Bill Mason's kit, which you linked us to. I
recently purchased one from Bill, at the Tucson show. I've yet to break it
out and put it to use, but was impressed with the demo that I got from Bill.
I'm a relative novice with this topic though, so wait and see what others
have to say. Best wishes.
Linton