[meteorite-list] Related Meteorite Falls 11 years apart? BothHammers! Both L6 Olivine-hypersthene

From: Martin Altmann <altmann_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 16:00:10 +0100

Hi Eric,

I can't find anything rude in my post, neither I intended to mock you.
I used the raindrop analogy for three reasons.

Your idea was, that two meteorites hit ground in almost the same place in a
period of 11 years and they are of the same petrologic type.
These coincidences seem so strong, that one tends to say, that those were no
independent events. It's about unlikelinesses.

So. If someone tells you. I'll climb to an altitude of some 1000 feet with a
pipette. And there I let fall two single drops. And the drops will splash on
exactly the same spot on the ground - then one would tend to say: That's
impossible!

Secondly I chose the raindrop analogy, because it takes place in the
atmosphere.

If your idea would be right, then Earth and the second meteorite have to
meet geometrically exactly in the same place in space (and space is somewhat
large and Earth and meteorid really small) like with the first meteorite, a
question of fractions of seconds, as we talk about speeds of many miles per
second, and also little Weatherfield or the point of the entry in the
atmosphere has to be seen the rotation of the Earth around its axes, just in
the same place.
Well and there I say, we don't need to think even about orbits of Earth,
debris streams, resonances ect.
Why?
Because alone the factors which influence the atmospheric passage of these
both meteorids cause such a scatter, that even if both meteorids entered
atmosphere at the very same point, in the very right moment, with the same
angle and speed, that they will not fall down so closely to each other.

Because the bodies have different flight dynamics, depending on their mass
and shape. Air pressures and wind is a factor. The height of a break up, the
point of retardation, when it's slowed down and the free fall starts.
These are all factors already sufficient, to make it highly unlikely that
these two falls belong together.

Maybe also for a third reason I used the raindrops, this time in an opposite
way.
The raindrop hits the other only because there are so many drops falling.
I think, or at least I haven't the imagination of an asteroid family or
Earth-crosser stream being dense. And I think one can't compare such a
stream with e.g. the cometary dust streams, which causes the periodical
meteor streams, when Earth crosses them on its annual path around the Earth.
...and even those aren't fairly dense, if you remember, that the best annual
meteor streams generate only a few dozens of shooting stars per hour for the
observer at their maxima.
Also the asteroid belt is btw. quite empty - at least emptier as it is
usually shown in the animations on TV, where large lumps are floating
through space like a flock of sheep.
If you imagine, that on such a huge volume of space, the asteroid belt
comprises, a total mass of only 5% of our Moon - (and that half of that mass
is contained already in the four largest objects of the asteroid belt.
Ceres, Vesta, Pallas, Hygiea) - then I'd say, that even the asteroid belt is
quite a void space.

Well, and as Captain Blood said - it isn't uncommon, that in a relatively
small place different meteorites are found. - all these "Name" + (a), (b),
(c), (d)... designations in the Bulletin.
Or think about the places, where Sonny and the Count are hunting meteorites
to cause hefty depressions among the other meteorite collectors :-)

Or take the DaG-Meteorites and Oman, because they have coordinates.
In what for small areas thousands of different original falls were found.
Those deserts record a longer fall history; up to 50,000 years is the range
of the terrestrial ages there - still a very short period of time, if you
remember, that such a meteorite from the day it had been whacked off from
his parent body, usually floats several million years around the sun, until
it will be caught by Earth.

Anyway, there are also other coincidences than geographical ones.

Thuathe and Kilabo felt both o 21th of July 2002. (One is H4/5 the other an
LL6).

And Pribram and Neuschwanstein shared the same orbit.
But one is a H5, the other a EL6.

Best!
Martin

-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----