[meteorite-list] It is a sad day.....

From: R N Hartman <rhartman04_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:27:12 -0800

John Blennart wrote: <<It seems that meteorite Hunting (from now on) will be
illegal on all
> government lands - yes even BLM!>>

This has always been the case. You must obtain permission from the land
owner. Some desert area are a mix of BLM, state, county and/or city and
private land; such is the case with Lucerne Dry Lake, and the last I heard
it was open for collecting, although I'm not sure whether that meant only
minerals or included meteorites as well, or whether anyone really cares! I
have heard on authority though that vehicles of any and all kind are now
prohibited ON the surface of LDL and I would guess that would extend to
other Dry Lakes (at least California). Well, just look at how hunters
have abused the land hunting meteorites. Its been an absolute atrocity with
large caravans and off-road vehicles. I think there need to be something in
place so meteorites can be responsibly hunted and found to add to the
scientific base and educational needs, but there aren't any more Niningers
around (Well, perhaps a couple!) , and researchers certainly won't do any of
it, but I suggest that there be controls so strewnfields won't be overrun by
masses of irresponsible collectors. (I'm not referring to names we know;
there are a lot of people with names we don't know, who are not members of
any organizations or groups, who have no real interest in or appreciation
for meteorites, and whose motives are only to dig up the countryside for
gaining a profit out there hunting.)

It was mentioned to me awhile ago by one of our more respected and
responsible collectors that he had visited a little-known out-of-the-way dry
lake in Nevada and found tire tracks across every square foot that had been
criss-crossed by some off road vehicle.

Ron Hartman