[meteorite-list] Related Meteorite Falls 11 years apart? Both Hammers! Bo

From: Impactika at aol.com <Impactika_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 18:01:12 EST

Thank you Richard.

Yes, because all the fragments were found within a small area and all
showed the same lack of weathering, they were thought to be part of the same
meteorite, and the isotopes immediately verified that.
And yes, because this meteorite is basically, as Ted Bunch called it, a
"rubble pile" each fragment is being analyzed and classified independently. I
do have more complete and detailed lists if you are interested, but first
take a look at the list on my website (www.impactika.com/asitta.doc) you will
see what I mean, I am very careful to keep each fragment listed with its
proper classification.

Yes, Richard, you found a very interesting meteorite, from the moment of
discovery, to its classification.

Anne M. Black
http://www.impactika.com/
IMPACTIKA at aol.com
Vice-President, I.M.C.A. Inc.
http://www.imca.cc/

In a message dated 3/8/2010 9:20:52 PM Mountain Standard Time,
damoclid at yahoo.com writes:
> Walter,
> Yes, there are documented strewnfields which prove
> more than one classification does exist within a single
> area. But, Now that Almahatta Sitta has been found to have
> several different classes within one fall it seems to me
> this changes everything.

Yes it does, to a point.

> In fact as you know they were so confused by the
> differences that they tested every single find to be
> absolutely sure they were all from just one fall. I believe
> they decided that they were in fact all from one fall. This
> makes buying and selling Almahatta Sitta a bit tricky
> because you may not actually get the Ureilite you are
> expecting. You may get some other classification all
> together.

Anne Black may have something more to say about this but hasn't seen this
post yet. If you buy from her you will know exactly what you are getting,
ureilite, enstatite, H5, etc. because each and every fragment of TC3 she sells
is being classified.