[meteorite-list] It is a sad day, or maybe not...

From: Meteorites USA <eric_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2010 17:02:09 -0800

Linton,

You needn't worry, meteorite hunting will continue, coordinates will be
recorded and data still be provided to the scientific community. The law
is the same as it was, it's simply being published more publicly on the
BLM's websites. However if people do try to enforce it, it will not be
pretty, legal proceeding will follow, and it will most probably go all
the way to the Supreme Court. However it doesn;t have to be that way.

I agree that Jeff's idea sounds like it may work. It's all about sharing
and cooperating but most of all trust. It seems some scientists don't
trust the private sector enough to collect data properly and that they
think they should be the only ones to be allowed to collect. Says who?

To make it rewarding for all parties involved in the recovery,
classification, display, and private collection I would think a 50/50
deal seems appropriate. Some would scoff at this, but it's better than
the alternative which is to punish those who find meteorites or remove
them from federal lands effectively removing almost all motivation for
private individuals to hunt and collect the data, at least publicly.

Create a 50/50 deal and divide the meteorite between the government and
the private finder. The finder gets to do whatever they wish with their
50% and the government/institutions can have a LARGE percentage of the
original specimen for display and study including material for
distribution to universities worldwide for continued study and display.
Which could also be provided to private collectors by the party who
recovered the meteorite to begin with.

The motivation remains for private researcher to hunt, the scientists
get material to study, the Smithsonian gets a piece to display in the
National Museum of Natural History, and the government is happy because
they get 50% of the stone instead of 20%.

I have a question... What happens when there's a new meteorite fall on
federal land? Do you actually think meteorite hunters are not going to
hunt? What motivation is there, and why would anyone simply hand over
all the meteorites to the US government under the current
"interpretation" of the 1906 Antiquities Act? Or is this the whole
reason behind it? Remove the motivation, and you stop the hunters?

Three things will happen, more meteorites will be found on private land,
the "DATA" that the government and scientists are trying to protect will
be lost, and less meteorites will be available for everyone...

A lose/lose/lose... All around...

A win/win would be to share. I mean that is after all what we teach our
children...

Isn't it?

Regards,
Eric Wichman