[meteorite-list] 5 reasons to record meteorite coordinates

From: Erik Fisler <erikfwebb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 23:12:35 -0700

Rob,

?Of course I would carefully record my coordinates of my finds as I do now. I just wouldn't submit the true coordinates with the classification for fear of being punished for collecting meteorites on BLM or state land. No data lost. Just private information, much like many strewn field coordinates that I do not have access to withing universities. The stewn field maps and coordinates i have on my laptop and hard drive would stay their for my reference, and the reference of other hunters who wont let the government step on our rights to hunt meteorites.

?If the universities want true coordinates I would have to have them classified behind closed doors, if possible. Or they can choose to turn their heads away from the law and classify my stones regardless, then there would be no loss in data. :o

Jason,??Speaking of more stones being recovered, don't you hate when
the?coordinates listed are just general coordinates.? How can we?recover
 more and thoroughly?conduct?a search when the only stone found is
listed?with minutes and no seconds??Either some coconut head didn't take
 GPS and had to point out on a map were he found it, or they do not want
 you to know the exact location.? Either way is extremely frustrating.

Hopefully universities would ignore the law and accept finds on BLM or
state land with true coordinates without snitching on the person who
saved the data from terrestrializing.? Although some people submit like
dogs when pressured! lol

And yes Jason, I would lie about find coordinates to keep SOME of the material.? If the tkw is less then 50 grams then I would probably give the whole mass to the university but kilos of material is just going to end up in storage or traded to some other meteorite dealer or hunter.? I would however, respect you for hunting and donating 100% of your material to a university.?

[Erik]