[meteorite-list] Ash Creek=stony iron?!_at_#

From: Greg Catterton <star_wars_collector_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:58:36 -0800 (PST)

I would like to note that caution needs to be used if doing this and specific "rules" need to be followed.

Me and several others worked together some time ago to remove a seller (ryderdude) on ebay who was selling meteorites with fake and doctored reports.
While no legal action was taken (plenty was threatened by the seller) legal action can occur if not worded/done properly.
It took an attorney and threats of court action against ebay )for aiding in fraud (they were provided with proof they were informed) until they to action to finally remove the seller. Keep in mind, this was with many people working together and took about 3 weeks to a month of dedicated calls, emails and communication daily with trust and safety and the legal dept of ebay.

Ebay honestly does not care about the fraud, until someone with actual legal power steps in. Keep in mind, ebay will try to make things tough for you if you do choose to fight them.
Ive been there... Ebay actually tried to ban me for 30 days on ebay over the issue of contacting buyers who were scammed by the seller. An email and fax to ebay from legal counsel quickly changed that and resulted in less then 12 hours of suspension (I actually got a buy off... I mean credit, from ebay over it)

I was lucky to have an attorney in the family who helped, if not I could have run into high legal costs.

Another thing to keep in mind, if you use a selling account to communicate, you could suffer retaliation neg feedbacks and also investigation by ebay concerning being considered "a competitor" of the scam seller and any intent of yours to put him out so you can take his sales (stupid, but thats what they say)

Just be prepared, sometimes when you rock the boat, you get wet.

Would i do it again? without a doubt.
Scammers on ebay hurt not just other sellers but everyone. Once someone buys a fake meteorite, they will think twice before buying another.

Greg Catterton
www.wanderingstarmeteorites.com
IMCA member 4682
On Ebay: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/wanderingstarmeteorites