[meteorite-list] Just like the Old Days (ad)

From: Kevin Kichinka <marsrox_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:01:21 -0600

Way back in the '90's of the last century, when fax pages faded away
and the only cells worth dialing up were in your brain, I remember
receiving photo-copied meteorite price catalogues in the US Mail.
There would be short descriptions of the meteorites on offer, followed
by a selection of slices, indis and/or fragments with the price of
each. There were no photos, no Paypals. One relied on the authors
honest words and un-exaggerated descriptions to fire up one's
imagination and loosen the purse strings. The best and only way to
satisfy the urge to splurge was to jump on the phone and hope ET or
David New or Bob Haag or Russ Kempton or Blaine Reed or Mike Martinez
picked up and still had your desired specimen available.

Actually, Blaine still operates that way :>)

In that spirit, I am going to offer today a similar catalogue with
only some minor changes from days long gone.

Paypal is accepted, in fact, mandatory.

Don't try to call me, I'm in Costa Rica surrounded by smoking
volcanoes, and any second, likely to be fleeing from the lava.

And it's not an "ala carte" offering, it's "Winner-take-all" for the
soon-to-be described material.

First email to me at MARSROX _at_gmail.com, confirmed with Paypal payment
in a reasonably short time, will receive the goodies. I'll be back in
FLA Tuesday, March 16 and will ship the package before the week is
out.

Herein is the written description of ten meteorites, a nice lot with
some real "keepers", no "Bessey Specks" or undesirable examples. The
set includes a carb chondrite, a diogenite and one really low TKW
ordinary chondrite. And there's no NWA's, all of these mets go by
friendly first names. All were purchased by me from Blaine to
originally be packaged with my book, "The Art of Collecting
Meteorites", but with only fifty copies of 1,100 left to sell, this
will be unneccesary.

I had fun "playing" with these rocks, looking up their histories, and
I hope you will, too. You will find the price to be fair for the
quality and variety of material.

1. Lahoma L5, find 1963 (Texas) - Spectacular meteorite with black
matrix and dark inclusions, W=1, 10x8x4mm slice, 1.05gms., polished on
two sides.

2. Dalgetty Downs L4, find 1941 (Australia) - Widely distributed,
9x8x4mm slice, 1.15 gms., clean surfaces w/o oxidation.

3.Etter L5, find 1965 (Texas), CRE (cosmic exposure age) of only 1.7
Ma (Alexeev, 1998), 12x7x3mm slice, 1.50 gms, polished on two sides.

4. Aldama (b) H5 find 1996 (Mexico) - Low TKW of +2kg. and basically
unavailable. 9x7x2mm cut frag, 0.6gms.

5. Huckitta PAL find 1924 (Australia) - The 1,084 gm specimen first
recovered had been transported about fifty miles from the main 1,411
kg mass discovered later in 1937. 15x11x10mm, 2.55 gms., typical
terrestrialized fragment.

6. Odessa IAB Iron find 1922 (Texas) - Aparently somewhere within this
piece lurks silicate inclusions similar to Campo and Toluca (Ted Bunch
et al, 1970) and native copper (Nininger and Huss, 1966). Not to be
confused with Odessa H4 (Ukraine). 10x6x3mm, 1.2 gm. untumbled
individual as recovered.

7. Tulia (b) L6 - Found 1917 (Texas) - Joins Tulia (a) H3/4, Tulia (c)
H5-6, Tulia (d) H6, and Tulia Iron as all common to the "Lubbock Super
Cluster" region of west-central Texas. Tulia (b) has a small TKW of
4.4kg. 10x5x1mm, super-thin slice of 0.2gms with a very "busy" metal
matrix. Who among us has all the "Tulias"?

8. Tatahouine DIO (Tunisia) fell 27 June, 1931. A rare, unbrecciated,
green diogenite 10x5x5mm, 0.65 gm. frag.

9. Travis County (a) H5 (Texas) found 1889. 9x8x4mm, 1.10gm slice with
a shock-blackened matrix.

10. Allende CV3 (Mexico) fell 8 Febrero, 1969. The most-studied
meteorite in history, this 7x7x3mm, 0.55gm frag displays protruding
"bubbles" of chondrules.

First buyer with US $45 (plus $5 US shipping/$13 foreign) confirmed by
email to me at MARSROX at gmail.com takes it all.

Gracias para su tiempo y tiene un bien dia.

Kevin Kichinka

www.theartofcollectingmeteorites.com

www.LAQ-CostaRica.com