[meteorite-list] Huge Increase in Meteorite "help me" or "buy me" emails.

From: Galactic Stone & Ironworks <meteoritemike_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:16:12 -0400

Hi List!

Are any of the other dealers noticing a big increase in emails from
unknown people wanting you to ID their suspected meteorite or buy
their suspected meteorite?

In the last couple of weeks, I have gotten a flood of emails from
people around the country and the world - all wanting me to identify
their obvious meteorwrong, or to purchase their meteorwrong. One guy
claimed to be in China, but had a Russian email address, and he
attached some photos of an obvious industrial slag which he claimed
was a meteorite and he even had a bogus "lab report" to prove it.
Some of these are honest folks who are confused or misinformed, but
many are scammers. Do the scammers think because we deal meteorites,
we must be dumb or something? Because some of these so-called
"meteorites" they try to push on me are obviously bogus - so bogus a
blindman or a fool could tell they are not meteorites.

Is this another after-effect from the Meteorite Men TV show? Or just a fluke?

Best regards,

MikeG