[meteorite-list] A Plan To Place An Asteroid In Earth Orbit

From: Sterling K. Webb <sterling_k_webb_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 22:07:28 -0500

Doug, List,

I'll refer you to the book, "Mining The Sky," by
John S. Lewis, which makes a nice solid 260-page
case for the economic value of the asteroids. Or
to Harrison Schmidt's economic analysis of the
value of mining the lunar surface for REE's
(Rare Earth Elements).

Iron is worth about $0.25 per kilo, but nickel is
now over $12 per kilo, Lanthanum oxide $134 per
kilo, Neodymium $260 per kilo, and so forth.
Or maybe, just check this source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_mining
    "At 1997 prices, a relatively small metallic
asteroid with a diameter of 1.6 km (1 mile)
contains more than 20 trillion US dollars worth
of industrial and precious metals." At today's
prices? A lot more.

The "not an iron" comment was in relation to
safety only. A 10-20-meter rock is safe to drop;
an iron that size is not. Personally, I think the
worry about accuracy of orbital maneuvers is
silly and mis-placed. Few human operations are
are so precise. Think about matchng up with
Vesta from hundreds of millions of km away!

The usual standard of accuracy is roughly akin
to shooting the eye out of a one-eyed Jack at
100 miles away. Routine.

Sterling K. Webb