[meteorite-list] A Plan To Place An Asteroid In Earth Orbit

From: MexicoDoug <mexicodoug_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 23:58:20 -0400

Sterling wrote:
"Personally, I think the worry about accuracy of orbital maneuvers
is?silly and mis-placed. Few human operations are?are so precise. Think
about matching up with?Vesta from hundreds of millions of km away!"

I can see it now: China say they are practicing mining and everyone
thinks, 'ok, the Moon is 50 years old', Venus and Mars have been done,
let them have their thing and waste their money on that foolish
endeavor '. While they put an orbiting Damocles sword around the Earth
which, if they choose, can make that crater, if they succeed as you
believe, right on top of the White House or Kremlin, and no heat
seeking defensive missle is gong to change that.

A false sense of confidence by the guys pushing the buttons is all we
need by systems governed by Finagle's Law. I think we have too many
weapons' risks in the world and am completely unimpressed by the idea
of going all out to get another Moon, no matter how small, given the
'silly' risk considering who will be controlling its orbit.

Comparing asteroids of unknown composition, rotational, vibrational and
translational energy, and variable tensile strength and mass which need
to be determined in-situ on the fly and and space vehicles carefully
assembled on Earth is apples and oranges - make that pygmy cherries and
gibberellically modified Edmund Scientific pomelos I dreamed of as a
kid. There is a vast amount of energy required for most of these
asteroid maneuvers, and a great deal of uncertainty to deal with in a
hostile environment for construction. It is not easy.

Now, why rock the boat at all. Just hook up some thrusters to the ISS
which will be about as visitable the way things are headed (or send a
separate mission) and have it hook up with an asteroid like 2006 RH120
(A temporary moon of Earth at times). If these NEO's are so close, no
sense fighting the steering wheel. Just go with the flow and do your
business, the world is already full of ##### drivers.

Kindest wishes
Doug