[meteorite-list] Impact evidence in trees?

From: Craig Moody <meteoritesnorth_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 15:34:03 -0500

Hello Mike and List:
First of all...Seasons Greetings to all! Hope you all get the rocks you want!

Regarding these trees. Notice that there is a very clear 90 degree seam at the bend. What is done here is a grafting technique, where a 90 degree wedge is taken out when the tree is very young <5years, and it is folded over on itself , then treated with Plant growth hormones for rapid healing. It is sealed with a wax tape Then it is shaped as it grows until it reaches the desired shape. This is a lot of work to get the desired results. I agree with Sergey that is is used in furniture making - very expensive furniture.

I have seen 'living' furniture too. Live trees that have been bent and grafted into ladders, benches, chairs. Takes years to do well.

Cheers all.

Craig Moody
Univ. of Guelph - Horticulture - Go Aggies!
IMCA #6276