[meteorite-list] Apollo Moon rock sample on eBay?

From: cdtucson at cox.net <cdtucson_at_meteoritecentral.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 11:04:56 -0500

Martin,
Obviously this eBay auction is not genuine material.
But, everybody knows there is a lot of real material out there that was given away. The question is . How much? And in what form?
One thing is certain. It was not distributed on an old piece of carpeting.
The ones I have seen are very well displayed in resin along with a formal presentation.
Nobody is saying exactly how many of these are actually out there but, I have seen one in private hands that was given to an engineer / manager at Raytheon. It is in a clear resin pyramid about an inch tall and is an actual pebble not just dust.
What is disturbing to me is what I am hearing here that it is illegal to sell these gifts from NASA?
And if you try NASA will seize them?
I thought the only Government org that was allowed NOT to follow due process of the law was the IRS.
Now , I am hearing that NASA has the same power as the IRS?
I certainly hope not.
Sure a court may grant some action that could stop these sales if it is in fact illegal but, I am surprised that a non-law enforcement agency like NASA has that much power.
This unless there is an actual law on the books. In which case becomes simply a matter of law enforcement. In which case any cop can seize the material.
Until I see that law it seems to me that it is legal to sell this material if it is real and was obtained legally.
Again, this eBay offering is clearly not real but, I would like to see the law in print that prohibits the sale of moon rocks.
Anybody got a copy to share?

Thanks,
Carl
--